GP9s 1701, 1702, & 1703
Low-nose units. All wear the lightning stripe paint scheme. 1701
carries an external air filter behind the cab on the left. All served
on Farmrail, whose parent company Farmrail System, Inc. is a partner
in the Finger Lakes Railway. 1701, 1702, & 1703 have
served on the Finger Lakes Railway since the beginning of operations
in July 1995.
1701-Constructed 2/59 for SSW, serial #25018. Original Road #828.
Overhauled by SSW, chopped nose and renumbered 3649 in June of
1975. Later renumbered 3871 when SP reclassified it as a switcher.
It then served on Farmrail with that same number, as well the name "Cheyenne".
Rated for 1860 hp. 1701 was outshopped by Grainbelt in February
In this photo of its front truck you may be able to see the plate
affixed at that time between the arms of the hanging bracket on the
1702-Constructed 3/59 for Milwaukee Road serial #25281. Original
Road #286. It then served on Farmrail with that same number,
as well as the name "Choctaw". Rated for 1750 hp.
1703-Constructed 1/59 for Milwaukee Road serial # 25326. Original Road
#331. It then served on Farmrail with that same number, as well
as the name "Caddo" and sublettered GNBC for Grainbelt. Rated
for 1750 hp.
here for a black & white picture of 1703 as a high-nose
MILW unit running on the point of what looks to be a substantial coal
Thanks to Brendan Kelly for his help
High-nose unit purchased from Buffalo & Pittsburgh in August 1998
at the end of lease service as #207. In August 1999, it was repainted
from B&P colors into the FGLK lightning stripes and renumbered to
Low-nose unit wearing red, grey & royal blue Mountain Laurel paint
scheme. Rebuilt at Paducah shops, 1801 has a saddle style air
filter behind the cab, typical of Paducah rebuilds for the Mountain
Laurel. Perhaps the most-traveled of FGLK's motive power. 1801
was built for B&O in 1955 as #6467, sold to Illinois Central
Gulf as 8332, then Illinois Central 8332. Renumbered #15
by Mountain Laurel when G&W bought out ML. Renumbered by FGLK in
B23-7s 1989, 2004, & 2301
Built for Conrail in 1979, these units were purchased in June 1999,
at the close of their original lease from NRE Co. Rated for 2300 horsepower
each, they represent the first General Electric power in regular operation
by the Finger Lakes Railway and have been received favorably by FGLK
crews.2301 was originally numbered 1979 and repainted
in the spring of 2002 when it was renumbered to 2301